metamorphosis

borbo 2012-06-07 borboleta x

This sweet butterfly appeared silently to my garden. I got closer to see it better. Suddenly it secreted a weird red liquid from its body. The drop fell to the ground. (you can see it well on the pics). I thought the butterfly was injured or something cause it was moving the wings in an odd way. But after Googling it, I found out that, in fact, that drop is meconium, made of the waste material left over from the metamorphosis, and it usually comes out from the abdomen, when the butterfly emerges from the chrysalis
Always learning :) 

borbo

3 Experiences:

  1. That is sooo cool! I never knew that. Your pictures looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing!! I learn also with you! Picurka

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pics are just beautiful!!!
    And your post is very interesting!
    xxx
    S

    http://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete